The winter holidays are upon us and the last thing anyone wants is for this season of joy to turn tragic. Please keep your loved ones and valuables secure with the following tips:
- Choose decorations that are flame-resistant or flame-retardant, and keep decorations away from heat sources.
- Do not overload circuits with festive lights. Follow manufacturer instructions on the boxes they come in.
- Make sure Christmas trees are at least three feet away from any fireplace, radiator, candle, heat vents or lights (except cool lights that are part of the tree decorations). This goes double and triple for live trees.
- Carbon monoxide accidents increase in winter. Be sure you have CO detectors in the home and check them regularly to make sure they are working. Change batteries at least once a year, or right now if you can’t remember when you last did so.
- Thieves love the holidays with all those expensive gifts they can see through a window under your tree. Make your house look as if someone is always home. Keep lights on both inside and outside even while away. Leave on radios or TVs.
- Pickpockets and thieves are most active during the holiday season. Don’t overburden yourself with so many packages or bags that your purse or wallet becomes an easy mark.
- Don’t place purchases inside a vehicle for all to see. Put them in a trunk or otherwise out of sight. And, of course, make sure all doors are locked.
- Most importantly, have a safe and happy ending to the year and we hope to see you next year.